Description of the works
The former St Chad’s Church was built in the 1950’s. This project comprised the demolition of the old church and the construction of a new church together five new houses and a block of thirty one flats. This is the fourth of development where Sarsen Housing Association have partnered with the Church of England.
The new church was constructed with a laminated timber frame to support its lofty structure. It has limestone elevations and a standing seam roof to ensure that it proves more durable than the old church. The steep site is carefully landscaped to provide road access to all the new buildings and for the first time to the neighbouring bungalows. The statue of St Chad was carefully restored from the old church and now stands sentry in the entrance of the new church.
The five houses have been constructed in a terrace adjacent to the church. The thirty one flats are at the top of the site providing spectacular views over Plymouth to the River Tamar and towards the sea. The flats and houses are finished in cedar cladding and render to pick up the local vernacular in a contemporary way. The project was completed in early December 2009 allowing the parish to celebrate Christmas in their new church before Christmas.
Rogers & Haynes
Lacey Hickie Caley
Gates Consultants © 2020. Site by Webko